Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Spinach and goat's cheese muffins

I first made these a while back when I was rooting around in an empty-looking fridge trying to produce a meal. They are really, really good, though I shouldn't say so myself. I made them for our lunch today, so I figured I may as well take a few pictures and stick the recipe up here, because they have gone down really well with a few people I gave the recipe to. They are a great option for baby-led weaning, but just as popular with grown-ups.

Ingredients
3 eggs
2 oz (1/4 cup) of butter, melted
6 oz (3/4 cup) wholemeal flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 bag spinach, chopped
4oz (1/2 cup) goat's cheese
Cheddar, grated, for sprinkling

EDIT: I made these again the other day, but didn't have any spinach or butter, so instead I used a 1/4 cup of olive oil and a grated courgette (zucchini, for those of you in the US of A, or anywhere else that isn't trying to pretend to be french) and they came out just as good. I may consider working on some more adaptations...


Preheat the oven to 190ºC (350ºF)

Beat together the eggs and melted butter.
Roughly mix in flour and baking powder (it will be lumpy - don't panic, and don't overmix!)
Add goat's cheese and spinach and stir until just mixed.
I also add a dash of milk at this stage. When I remember.

Spoon into the muffin cases or whatever you are using – I used these little silicone loaf tins that I got for christmas that are the best thing to be made of silicone since Pamela Anderson took boob jobs too far – and sprinkle with cheese. Stick 'em in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until they are golden and firmish to the touch, and a skewer comes out clean. You know the drill.

Now, this is where the illusion is shattered, and you realise that this is not Blue Peter. Not only did I forget to sprinkle the cheese on top and to add the dash of milk, but in my enthusiasm I must have overmixed it all because they really didn't rise very impressively. They still tasted okay, but not up to the usual standard. So, take heed of my mistakes – this is why we beat until just combined.

Happy baking x



No comments:

Post a Comment